Wednesday, October 26, 2011

"Sugah and Spice"

Chapter 17

                Sugah dialed Java’s number as soon as she walked into her apartment. She needed answers and fast. “Hello,” Java spoke softly. “Oh, I didn’t mean to wake up Java, it’s me, Sugah. I was wondering if we could talk a minute.” The tone in Sugah’s voice got her attention. Java wondered what was going on, suddenly. Usually when someone phoned her after nine o’clock at night, she didn’t even bother answering her phone, but when she saw it was Sugah calling, she knew something important was up. “I was just about to turn in for the night. What’s up?”

                Sugah didn’t know where or how to begin, so she just went for it. “Java, do you know a woman named Simone? She is in one of my classes, which just so happens to be taught by your brother. There is something strange about her and I wanted to talk to you about it. I saw her with another woman, who looks just like her, as I was leaving campus tonight. I swear they look like identical twins. They had silly smirks on their faces when they saw me, as if they knew me or something. I can’t quite put my finger on it but I do know something weird is with those two.”

                Java set up in her bed. She wasn’t prepared for what Sugah had just told her. Knowing those two conniving bitches where back made things more interesting. Why hadn’t Coffee told her that Mya was back? Maybe he didn’t know. Just then, she saw that he was calling from her caller ID. She would just have to call him back. “Did they say anything to you, Sugah? When was the first time you saw them,” Java wanted to know.

                “Well Simone, a few days ago, in class but the other one only this evening,” Sugah answered. “Who are they Java? And don’t give me some bullshit story. The way Coffee and Simone looked at each other, I could tell they have some kind of history together. The way they looked at me tonight told me that I was embarking on their territory or something. I don’t do well with women, Java. I don’t take shit from anyone and if there is something I need to know, I suggest you tell me now! If they want to see my wrath then, it’s on. I don’t like strange women watching me, making threats. I have never dealt with it nor do I intend to do so now. So again I say, if there is anything I should know, please just tell me. I don’t have a problem bringing a bitch back down to reality when it comes to protecting me,” Sugah said firmly. “I don’t take too kindly to threats, especially from people I know nothing about.” Java could tell that she was pissed. She understood were Sugah was coming from. Simone and Mya were ruthless but Java could tell that Sugah had some stuff with her, when it came to protecting herself. But Java wanted to speak with Coffee before saying anything to Sugah about Simone and Mya. “Sugah, I’m sure it’s nothing. It’s probably two jealous girls trying to spook you. I wouldn’t worry about it too much. If you see them again, confront them. I bet it’s nothing.”

                Sugah didn’t buy what Java was saying. It was apparent now that she was purposely being left in the dark regarding the two women. It was also time she took matters into her own hands. If they wanted her attention, they most certainly had it now. “Java…?” Before Sugah could say anything else, she was cut off. “Sugah, I said just leave it alone! Now, I have a full day tomorrow and really would appreciate it if you let me go back to sleep now.” The harshness in Java’s tone confirmed again that Sugah was on to something but what. “Sure, sorry to bother you. I just thought that when you said that I could come to you with anything, you meant it. I guess I was wrong. You have to goodnight’s sleep, okay. I don’t ever bother you again. See you at the fashion show. If I have any questions or concerns, I’ll just contact the sponsors of the show or ask your brother. And to think I almost let you in.”  

Java set listening to the silence. She hated not telling Sugah about Simone and Mya but it was too complicated. If Xavier knew that Sugah was working with them, he would do everything within his power to get to her. Just like all the other young girls she recruited when they worked together, he would turn them into someone vicious. He didn’t care about anyone but himself. Java learned that the hard way and suffered each day from it. Never again and she would do everything to keep Sugah protected. She quickly dialed Coffee’s number. When he picked up, Java blasted on him. “Why in the hell you didn’t tell me Simone and Mya were back in town? Sugah just called me asking questions about Simone and then mentioned seeing her this evening with a woman who looked just like her. We all know who that is, Coffee. This cannot get out of hand. Sugah cannot be exposed to the likes of them. Now they we know they are back, you can almost bet that he will come after her. It has never failed yet.” Coffee listened to his sister, in total agreement. He couldn’t allow Simone or Mya to get next to Sugah. “Calm down, Sis. Sugah will be fine. I’m sure she can handle herself but we will be there to help her in any way needed. I didn’t know Mya was back until a few hours ago. They were standing outside, on campus. It looked like they wanted me to see them or Sugah to see them. Mya even pretended to shot a gun when Sugah passed by them. When was the last time you spoke with them,” Coffee wanted to know.

“I haven’t! The day those two bitches burned me, was the last time I saw or spoke to them. I have a funny feeling about this, Coffee. Does Espresso know about this? He deserves to know just in case he runs into either of them.”

“Yeah, I told him yesterday. I didn’t know about Mya being back at the time but I did tell him to expect it, since Simone was. He took the news good considering. Java, I don’t trust or like this any more than you do but we have to keep a leveled head. Let’s just play it by ear, take one day at a time and go from there. If something happens, we will be ready. I really don’t want to discuss this anymore tonight. All I want to do is go to sleep, get through tomorrow and attend the fashion show on Saturday. Did Sugah say anything regarding the event,” he wanted to know.

Java sighed. She had been hard on Sugah and hated herself for it. “No she didn’t. I didn’t really give her chance to. She called asking about Simone and I quickly avoided her questions. She knows something is up and she that she wouldn’t be harassed or sought out by anyone. Coffee, Sugah means business. Just what do we really know about this girl?”

It was Coffee’s turn to sigh. He knew all that he wanted or needed to know about Sugah. He loved her, no matter what. He hated that his past was coming back to bite him in the ass but he couldn’t do anything about it, all he could do was wait. If or when Xavier showed his ugly face, he would do anything to protect Sugah. “Anyway, I will see you tomorrow, Sis. Go back to sleep. Sugah is going to be just great. And if Simone and Mya wanted a fight, they have definitely picked the wrong person to mess with. Goodnight.” Java said goodnight to Coffee and tried to sleep. That night she was plagued with nightmares about her son being taken away from her.  

Sugah was speechless the way Java tried to pretend nothing was happening. “Who does she think I am? I can smell bullshit from miles away,” Sugah said to herself. Her phone buzzed, causing her to jump. She checked the caller ID and saw that it was Espresso. “Where in the hell have you been all day, bruh? I have been trying to get in touch with you for hours on end. There is some strange shit going on and we need to talk.” Espresso rubbed his chin. He needed to shave but all he could think about was what Coffee told him regarding Simone and the possibility of Mya being back. “Hold up a minute Sugah, damn. Slow down! What’s up? I have been working my ass off and I got all of your messages. I just decided to call you once I got home. What are you bitching about,” he asked in an annoyed tone.

“Don’t talk to me like that, So. I have all messed up in the head right now. I mysterious woman show up in my class, stares me down and tonight she and a woman who looks just like her, make threats towards me, no, that isn’t going to work. I called you to see if you knew anything about this. Who in the hell is Simone? And before you do so, please don’t tell me no one because I already that’s a lie.” That got Espresso’s attention now more than ever. He didn’t want to be the one to tell Sugah about the twins but he owed her that much. She was like a sister to him and if he could protect her from Simone and Mya, he would do just that.

“Sugah, calm down, I didn’t mean to raise my voice at you. I’m sorry!” Espresso genuinely meant being sorry for hollering at her. “I should have probably told you about this earlier but better late than never, right.” He tried to laugh to lighten the tension that was so thick, he could cut it get a knife but Sugah didn’t find anything amusing. “So, just spill it, dude! These two bitches are on some other shit, from the way they were watching me. I don’t like people like that. If you know something, I deserve to know it. I didn’t want any part of this but I was the one who called the number from the business card, so that makes me entitled.” Sugah was right, Espresso agreed. “Okay but this stays between the two of us. If the others find out that I told you this, they won’t ever trust me again. I took an oath and now I’m about to break you, all because I truly care about you, girl.”

He took a deep breath before beginning. “Well, we told you that Coffee was the founder of the organization but that’s not entirely true. Latte, Mocha and Cap think so too but it was Java and her ex-husband who started the business. Coffee and I have been boys since high school and when things got out of hand, he called me. We were in college and Java had just finished. She was pregnant and didn’t know where else to turn. Anyway, Simone and her twin sister, Mya, used to work for her and her husband. She took them under her wing and got burned, badly. Her husband waited until she gave birth to them son and took him.”

“Wait…what do you mean took him? That doesn’t make any sense. What man takes a newborn away from their mother?”

“Sugah, you don’t know him like I do. He is as scandalous as they come. When Java got out of the hospital and went to their home, she caught him there with Mya. Simone was nowhere to be found, as well as her son. He threw her out, threatening to take everything away from her if she didn’t leave and never look back. That is when she called Coffee. She branched away from her husband and starting do things legit. He was and has always been a manipulator, but as the years pressed on, it only got worse. We haven’t seen him in years but we do know that he lives somewhere in the city. Don’t ask how that is possible but it’s the truth. Java could pass by her son every day and never know it. He was only hours old when she last saw him. Simone and Mya helped him deceive her. She hasn’t been the same since.” Espresso stopped talking to keep his breath again.

“Mya and I were in a relationship. She and I attended the same university. She helped me get through a tough time, after I left school to go pro and didn’t make it because I hurt my knee. I trusted her. She wasn’t like any other woman I was with. She was loving, kind and helped me in ways I couldn’t imagine. I was going to propose to her. When I learned of what happened with Java’s ex-husband, I was crushed. I wanted her dead. She took anything from me, Sugah. I still haven’t been able to trust her. I don’t even trust myself around her. Simone was in a relationship with Coffee. Mya and I introduced the two of them. He couldn’t forgive her for doing that to his sister but the killing part was that weeks later, Coffee went to visit Simone to work things out and caught her in bed with Java’s husband. It was and still is a huge mess. No one got closure and now there is an innocent young man out there, probably thinking that his mother abandoned him.”

Sugah set listening to Espresso. She didn’t know what to say. How could people be so evil and wicked? She could tell from the sadness in Espresso’s voice that he still cared for Mya. “So, I’m so sorry that this happened. If I could change it all, I would. You deserve to be happy and it seemed as though Mya was that special someone for you. I’m here if you need me.”

“Thanks, that means a lot. I really appreciate it, Sugah. We just have to wait and see what happens. Mya is coldhearted. Simone does anything she says, so this situation can be tricky. I haven’t talked with Java or Coffee today but I see them tomorrow, at a business meeting. We will come up with a plan and take things as they come. You just be careful. I know that if Java’s ex gets wind that you work with us, he will come at you with everything in him. I have a thing for beautiful, young girls. All he wants is money. He will do anything for it and if getting next to you is his way, he will pull out all the stops. I swear if anything happens to you…!” Espresso didn’t finish his last sentence. “If you see Simone and Mya again, turn and go the other way.”

“Espresso, I don’t run from any one, never have, never will. If those two want a fight, then that’s exactly what they will get. I don’t back down easily.”

No comments:

Post a Comment