Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Laura T. Johnson

Author spotlight!!



"Reading is relevant—Books are beautiful— Literacy leads to learning something new daily. Pass it on."

Laura and I met over two years ago at the Black Writers and Book Club Book Festival in Memphis.. Last year, we were table neighbors.  Since then, we have connected on various social media outlets and are building a great relationship. It’s great having a support system, especially fellow authors. The industry is a tough one, but there is definitely enough to go around for everyone. Laura is selfless when it comes to giving support and valuable information to others. She uses her platforms to inform others about domestic violence. She is a survivor!

Welcome to Kickin’ It With KeKe…

Author Laura T. Johnson

    Laura T. Johnson is the author of two books: Where Would I Be and Unbalanced (Series) Pt. 1. Laura was first bitten by the writing bug six years ago. While reading her journal she began to realize that her story could possibly help others who were going through the same thing.
     In 2006, Laura was the victim of an abusive relationship that lasted for two and half years. The relationship was volatile from the beginning. While in this relationship, Laura contemplated suicide almost on a daily basis. If asked, she would immediately tell you that what kept her from going through with suicide were her mother and younger brother. “I couldn’t leave them with that much pain, no matter what I was going through.”
     In 2009, Laura began to write her first novel. She thought, as her mother had told her many times before that she was not the only woman who had or will ever go through something like this. After filling up four notebooks, she decided that she might have a book on her hands. Laura went on to make the necessary changes to her writing and started letting others read her work.
     When those who’d read her work wanted to read more, she knew she had something good on her hands. Laura has continued her writing and the outcome has been one compelling story after another. She continues to keep her fans wanting more!  She resides in Tennessee where she is an advocate against domestic violence.
     If you would like to request an appearance, you can reach her by email at ltjauthor@gmail.com. 
Website:

KC: So tell us, how long have you been writing?
LJ: I have been writing for about seven years now.

KC: What genre do you write or prefer writing?
LJ: I write in the romance genre, but I would love to write a mystery.

KC: How did you know you wanted to become an author/writer?
LJ: I knew I wanted to be a writer after my first book was published. I had no plans of writing another book, but my publisher at the time told me I should give it another try. I found that I enjoyed creating stories and characters that intrigue my readers.

KC: What inspires you to write?
LJ: Victims and survivors, which I am, inspires me to write stories that show there is life after abuse.

KC: What message do you want readers to take away from your work?
LJ: I want readers to see that you can come out of anything. That through prayer anything is possible. I also want them to come away with a story that makes them think and one they won’t soon forget.

   
KC: How would you describe your writing style?
LJ: My writing style is more theme oriented. I hope that makes sense. I love the idea that love conquers all. I want victims and survivors to know that they can find a new life and love.

KC: Who are some of your favorite authors?
LJ: Some of my favorite authors are: James Patterson, Catherine Coulter, Deidra Ds Green, Sharon Cullars, Junnita Jackson, Caroline Kepnes, and Philippa Gregory. This list could go on for years. I am an avid reader.

KC: I love Deidra DS Green and James Patterson too. Deidra is amazing. I call her my “Auntie.”
KC: What are some of your favorite books?
LJ: Some of my favorite books are: Again by Sharon Cullars; The Alex Cross and Women’s Murder Club series by James Patterson; You and Hidden Bodies by Caroline Kepnes; The Twisted Sister series by Deidra Ds Green; and The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. Again, I could keep going.

KC: I love the Twisted Sister series by Diedra DS Green.
KC: What is your formula when working on a new project? (Do you listen to music, use an outline, meditate, or simply start typing?)
LJ: I actually write my books by hand and then type it out once I’m done. It may take longer, but the story flows better for me that way.

KC: If you could collaborate with any of your peers, who would it be and why?
LJ: I would love to collaborate with Deidra Ds Green or Junnita Jackson. For Deidra, I absolutely love her writing. The energy of the characters leaps off the page. For Junnita, I want to try my hand at erotica and I think she’s absolutely the greatest at it.

KC: What advice would you give aspiring authors?
LJ: Never give up! No matter how hard you think this is, you’re strong enough to get through it.

KC: What are you reading currently?
LJ: I am currently reading Private: Paris by James Patterson.

KC: How can readers find you?
            LJ: FB Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorLauraTJohnson/
            Twitter & Periscope: @AuthorLauraJ
            Website: authorlauratjohnson.org
      Amazon Link: http://www.amazon.com/Laura-T.-Johnson/e/B005J1CTIQ/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1468962428&sr=8-1

KC: As an author, do you think using social media is a great source for gaining new readers/supporters?
LJ: I think social media is a great way to gain readers/supporters. Especially through your own website.

KC: Tell us about your latest work?
LJ: My latest book is the first installment in my series titled Unbalanced. In this series, we follow Catherine “Cat” Palmer, a college student, through her relationship with the campus hunk Dorian Wallace. Their relationship is full of ups and downs, and I make sure that you feel every one of them.



KC: What’s next for you?
LJ: I have a list of books that are set to come out. I also have a business to run. I am a ghostwriter, writing and publishing consultant. So, my plate is kind of full.

KC: That’s wonderful, Laura! Congrats and blessings.
KC: Do you believe networking is crucial to being successful in the writing industry? Why? Why not?
LJ: Networking is extremely important in the writing industry. Some people tend to think that it’s a competition. It’s competition in everything you do, but this is mostly about helping each other. If I love an author’s work, I share it. Even though I am shy, I do go out of my way at functions to meet other writers and others that are in the literary field. #authorshelpingauthors

KC: Exactly! #authorshelpingauthors. I also use the hashtag #AuthorsSupportingAuthors.
KC: Where do you see yourself in five years?
LJ: Still writing and hopefully running a productive company.

KC: Where do you want to be with your writing in five years?
LJ: With a lot more books under my belt and also doing more advocacy work for domestic violence.

KC: Tell us something that you live by daily, that we can carry with us that should inspire and motivate us to pursue our purpose?
LJ: Never give up. Ever! And please don’t doubt that prayer works. I wouldn’t be here if it didn’t.

KC: I like to incorporate fun and excitement into my blog interviews during the author spotlight segment. This gives readers insight as to who you are as a person. Fun facts are my way of doing so, plus, I get to learn something about you too.

LETS GO…

Fun facts:

KC: What is your favorite color?
LJ: Maroon.

KC: What is your favorite food?
LJ: My mom’s lasagna.

KC: What is your favorite pastime?
LJ: Reading.

KC: Football or basketball?
LJ: Football.

KC: Michael Jordan or Lebron James?
LJ: Michael Jordan.

KC: Thanksgiving or Christmas?
LJ: Christmas.

KC: Books or movies?
LJ: Always books.

KC: Winter, spring, summer, or fall?
LJ: Winter.

KC: If you were allowed only one thing with you during the day, what would be the thing you pick?
LJ: My tablet. I can write and read with it. No need for the internet.

KC: Breakfast or Lunch?
LJ: Lunch. I’m not a breakfast person.

KC: It’s always a treat whenever we link up, Laura. Your scopes on periscope inspire me. Hopefully, I’ll stop letting my shyness get the best of me and start scoping more. It’s time. My core audience is waiting for me. I can’t let them down wherever they may be around the world. Thank you for Kickin’ It With KeKe!

Until next time Be Inspired, Be Encouraged, & Be You!

Purple Hugs,
KeKe Chanel

No comments:

Post a Comment