Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Lynn Emery




Author Spotlights are back! Supporting each other is essential in this industry because let’s face it, there is more than enough to go around. Anyone who says differently is a selfish ass****. (You can quote me on that)

As an avid reader, I get overjoyed when I find new authors who tell amazing stories. Although Lynn Emery isn’t considered a new author – she has been doing this writing thing for a long time – I discovered her writing a few years ago. Since then, I have become a fan. Her longevity as a success writer inspires me.

As writers, we have to know, study, and better our craft to be taken seriously. I take that to heart and apply it daily in my writing. Practice makes perfect, and perfection definitely doesn’t come over night. When you know better, you do better! Having and maintaining a healthy work ethic goes hand in hand with success in not just the writing industry but any other career path. And you most certainly need to have a thick layer or two, of tough skin.

Lynn Emery proves that she knows every area when it comes to writing industry. Her stories are bold, well-developed, and highly entertaining. Her knowledge about the writing process and both sides of the publishing world, are just to name a few. I could go on and on...  

The way she describes each scene in her stories, her profound love for Louisiana in which most of her books are set, leaves readers intrigued by the rich culture, family values, and mysterious history.

I became connected to my next spotlight author years ago via Facebook. She offered advice whenever I reached out to her. It’s refreshing when someone who has been writing longer, who has experienced all sides of the industry, gives sound information that will help you become better at your craft. Lynn helped me in ways she probably doesn’t even know. She will post an article or share something from her heart on social media that always resonate with me on many levels. She is the kind of person to have in your circle. We are both Louisianians who love all things that go bump in the night. By that, I mean spooky, supernatural, mysterious things. *smiles*

I was doing an event in Baton Rouge about two, maybe three, years ago and someone walked up to my table. I smiled and said hello. I was nervous and excited to be doing an event, so I wasn’t really focused on her entirely, but there was a connection. When she told me who she was, I was ecstatic. It’s always a great treat to meet people you admire and respect.

Lynn’s friendly demeanor and beautiful smile are still embedded in my mind. We didn’t talk much because she went off to check out the other vendors, but she told me she read my book Deadly in Stilettos. I was thrilled. Having someone like Lynn Emery, someone I am a huge fan of, read my book. I danced a little jig on the inside. LOL

Her books are everything! If you have not read any of them, you are missing out. Go get your life, already!

Please help me welcome Lynn Emery with a big Kickin’ It With KeKe purple hug…

Author Lynn Emery

While vacationing in Belize



KC: So tell us, how long you have been writing?
LE:  I’ve been writing since I was ten years old, on and off. I sold my first 1992. Night Magic was released in 1995.

KC: What genre do you write or prefer writing?
LE: I love writing mysteries

KC: How did you know you wanted to become an author/writer?
LE: As a child, I loved reading and oral storytelling so much that I decided to be a writer, too.

KC: What inspires you to write?
LE: Everything. LOL, I make up scenes and conversations with no book in mind even.

KC: What message do you want readers to take away from your work?
LE: I have no one message or any at all message depending on the book. I will say that there are characters that reflect my values in various books I’ve written. Some books are just to entertain.

KC: What a great way to look at it. “Some books are just to entertain.”

KC: How would you describe your writing style?
LE: I write tight, in scenes and sequels. I also write in a very visual way according to readers.

KC: Who are some of your favorite authors?
LE: Wow, I discover new ones every week it seems! NK Jemison, Daniel Jose Older, Cerece Rennie Murphy, Eden Royce, Ursula Le Guin, Octavia Butler, and a long list that would make your head spin J

KC: What are some of your favorite books?
LE: Octavia Butler’s Parable Series, The Sparrow, and Just about everything I’ve read by Agatha Christie. Another long list.

KC: What is your formula when working on a new project? (Do you listen to music, use an outline, meditate, or simply start typing?)
LE: I start with an outline, and I create a bible that contains the characters, character related details (description, cars they drive, etc.), plot points.

KC: If you could collaborate with any of your peers, who would it be and why?
LE: I’ve contributed to anthologies of short stories and novellas, so yes; I even wrote a work for hire novella once and followed a bible developed by the book packagers, something I never thought I’d be able to do. But co-writing a novel doesn’t work for me.

KC: What advice would you give aspiring authors?
LE: Network with other authors at various stages in their careers. Study the business of publishing and the craft of writing constantly. Never stop learning.

KC: Great advice! I network with authors on a daily basis and have learned a lot and grown profoundly in my craft.
KC: What are you reading currently?
LE: The Wicked Shall Rise – part of a YA series that is a re-telling of The Wizard of Oz.

KC: I’ll definitely have to check out that series. Erica Spindler has a book where she re-tells Alice in Wonderland. Killer Takes It All I love it.
KC: How can readers find you?
      @LynnEmeryWriter https://www.pinterest.com/lynnemery
Sign up for my newsletter and get a free book –    http://eepurl.com/eGk9U

KC: As an author, do you think using social media is a great source for gaining new readers/supporters?
LE: Using social media is an effective and efficient way to find your target audience. Facebook especially has metrics that lets you build a profile for those who see your ads. I don’t know of another medium for promotion with the data that allows authors to find people who want to read the kind of books we write. Results vary, and there are no guarantees, but it’s one useful resource.

KC: Tell us about your latest work?
LE: I’m currently writing Into The Mist, the 4th book in a mystery series. I released Hunting Spirits a few months ago, the Joliet Sisters psychic detectives series set in New Orleans.


KC: What’s next for you?
LE: I will be writing DEAD WRONG, the 3rd Joliet Sisters next.

KC: Do you believe networking is crucial to being successful in the writing industry? Why? Why not?
LE: Networking is the best tool. Period. With so much information to absorb and rapid change in the publishing biz, authors should constantly network.

KC: Where do you see yourself in five years?
LE: Doing exactly what I’m doing now, writing and releasing novels, traveling, and meeting new people! I want to increase my niche audience and see that indie AOC (Authors of Color) become so widely known, that all white movies and TV series look pretty silly!

KC: I love it!!
KC: Tell us something that you live by daily, that we can carry with us that should inspire and motivate us to pursue our purpose?
LE: These quotes inspire me daily: “For God has not given us the spirit of fear…” 2 Timothy 1:7
“You alone are enough. You have nothing to prove to anybody.”
--Maya Angelou
“Be the heroine of your life story, not the victim.” --Nora Ephron
“No one makes you feel inferior without your consent.” --Eleanor Roosevelt

KC: Great quotes! I have the Maya Angelou quote in a journal to keep me inspired.

KC: I like to incorporate fun and excitement into my blog interviews during the author spotlight segment. This gives readers insight as to who you are as a person. Fun facts are my way of doing so, plus, I get to learn something about you too.

LETS GO…

Fun Facts:

KC: What is your favorite color?
LE: Red

KC: What is your favorite food?
LE: Baked chicken (downtown Southern style)

KC: What is your favorite pastime?
LE: Reading (and movies/TV series)

KC: Football or Basketball?
LE: Neither, not into spectator sports.

KC: Michael Jordan or Lebron James?
LE: Lebron, MJ tore his drawers with me a long time ago. LOL

KC: Thanksgiving or Christmas?
LE: Christmas!

KC: Books or Movies?
LE: No, I refuse to choose or live in a world that would make that! J

KC: Winter, spring, summer, or fall?
LE: Spring

KC: If you were allowed only one thing with your during the day, what would be the thing you pick?
LE: My iPad! (With Wi-Fi available to make it sweeter)

KC: Breakfast or Lunch?
LE: Lunch

Thank you so much for Kickin It With KeKe today Lynn! It was such a treat. I cannot wait to read what you write next. As I said before, I am a huge fan!

Until next time, Be Inspired, Be Encouraged, & Be YOU!

Purple Hugs,
KeKe Chanel


















1 comment:

  1. Thanks for hosting me on your blog (fun design btw!). Happy to know my random .02 have been helpful to you! :)

    ReplyDelete