Thursday, January 28, 2016

Let's Talk About Books!!!!


Heeeyyyy yawl!!! 

Today we're talking books and literacy. My love for books began at the age of three. I was read to every day by whoever I handed a book. It didn't matter. They all took the book, picked me up, and read to me. My Aunt Janet (Moonie) took my siblings, cousins, and me to the library every summer, challenging us to read more than the one before. My love for books grew and grew and grew. Books became my first love. 

Literacy is important! We have to install reading and writing into our kids any way we can. The more we do, the smarter our next generation of leaders will be. Try to incorporate literacy on a daily basis to keep it relevant. If we don't, we are doomed to a world where ignorance reigns freely. Read to them. Read with them. Allow them to read to you. This builds confidence, comprehension, and creativity. My seven year old son reads to me daily. We are reading chapter books together. He loves when I read in silly voices. We are currently reading:

 
When I'm not writing, I am snuggled up with a book. I love all genres, so I always have something to read. I will take a book over a movie or television show any day! Reading is fundamental, whether we believe it or not. You can go anywhere, just by picking up a book and reading.


Literacy is the ability to read and write. You cannot master one without the other. Once upon a time, everyone wasn't allowed to learn how to read and write. Know why? Because knowledge is power! People are threatened by intellect. 

Women were considered disobedient if education was higher on her list of priorities than finding a husband and having children. Thankfully, the world we live in today has evolved. Even though many prejudices still insist, literacy is promoted and we are required to apply it to our everyday lives. 

Everything we do requires some level of literacy. 

Listed below is a few things you can do to promote literacy around you:

1. Make it fun. 

Play games. Use funny voices during reading time with your kids. 

2. Act it out.

Put on a show for family and friends. This boosts confidence and self-esteem. Re-enacting scenes from books will make reading exciting and enjoyable.   

3. Engage

Ask questions about the story to see if what is being read, is comprehended. Give the reader your undivided attention. 

4. Reward

Reward the reader. Incentives can produce better effort. People tend to give their all when they are rewarded for their participation. Give rewards that promote literacy e.i. books, notepads, journals, games, accessories, etc.

Here are a few websites that help promote literacy:  
www.literacy.org. 
www.literacyhow.com.

"Hello, my name is KeKe and I am a BOOKAHOLIC!!!

 "...And I'm proud of it. I love, love, love, love books."

What I like to read?

I love all genres when it comes to books., but my favorite is suspense. I write suspense-fiction. I love creating drama and intrigue in my stories that leaves the reader wanting more with each page. Twists and turns, plots and sub-plots, characters that are unique but realistic, are just to name a few things I incorporate in my books when I'm creating storylines. No one wants to read a book that's predictable and boring. I don't, so I don't write them. I know many people who are not readers, as they refer to themselves, that have read my books and are now reading on a regular basis. Now I'm not taking credit for their sudden enjoyment of reading; but I do know that had my book been boring, they wouldn't have finished it or been inspired to read another one. 

KeKe Chanel books are Da BOMB!! 
For more information about my books visit my website: www.thekekechanel.com.

Authors I love!

I absolutely love Eric Jerome Dickey, James Patterson, Stephen King, Brian W. Smith, Omar Tyree, Kimberla Lawson Roby, Elle Wright, Beverly Jenkins, Brenda Jackson, and Lynn Emery. There are many others, but the list would be too long and we would be here all day.  Check out any one mentioned and I promise you won't go wrong! And, you definitely won't be disappointed.

What am I reading now?

I'm reading Sisters & Husbands by Connie Briscoe.

Last three books I read: 

Let my know if you have read any of the authors mentioned above. Did you enjoy their work? If you decide to read any of their books, please share your thoughts with me by sending an email to kekechanel2012@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you. Your review could be feautured on my blog.

Until next time, be inspired, be encouraged & be you!

Purple Hugs,
KeKe Chanel



No comments:

Post a Comment