Monday, April 29, 2013

Author Ben Burgess

SPOTLIGHTING AA AUTHORS!!!!



Meet Author Ben Burgess:



                                                                    
1.    Tell us a little bit about you and your books.
I grew up in Queensbridge which is located close to Astoria in Queens. I moved to Freeport, Long Island at the end of 7th grade.
I currently work in Law Enforcement. Being in that profession allows me to meet people every day, and it puts me in a lot of situations that are interesting and I can learn from them.
I have a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management, and a Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership.
I published my first book in 2008 entitled "Times Have Changed and Life is Strange. It is currently used in two schools on the Lower East side of Manhattan.
I’m married to my wife Lauren and I have a daughter named Jaelynn.

2.    How long have you been writing? I’ve been writing since the 8th grade.

3.    What inspired you to start writing?
When I was in the 8th grade, my English teacher Mrs. Marcus gave the class a poetry assignment. My poem was on basketball. I don't remember what I wrote, but I remember my teacher was blown away by it. She encouraged me to keep writing. She was one of my most influential teachers, and I promised her if I ever wrote a book, I would write a poem about the Holocaust for her (She was Jewish, and had family in it) my dream was to publish a book. I continued to write throughout high school and college. My college professors told me I had talent, so I decided to go to open mic and perform my poetry. Hearing people cheer for me and appreciate my words, inspired me to want to keep writing. My first published book was “Times Have Changed and Life is Strange.” It was a poetry book. I wrote a poem for Mrs. Marcus called “Holocaust” keeping my promise. The poem “Ugly” from “Times Have Changed and Life is Strange” is the poem that inspired me to write “Monster” I reflected on my life, and felt this would be a good story that would teach and possible change people’s lives. "Monster" is based off my life and experiences. After enduring some pretty interesting experiences, I believe that "Monster" is a story that can benefit everyone and it's a story that needed to be told. I was inspired to write it to teach people. I feel that people can learn from my mistakes. I wanted people to learn that:
1.    Every action has a consequence- It can be good or bad, but there is a result for everything we do.
2.    We need to take time to truly heal emotionally and mentally after a break-up. If we don't we are bound to bring that pain into future relationships.
3.    We need to be conscience of our actions. We never know the effects they can have on other people.
4.    In order to move forward in life, we have to learn to let go of negativity, and to forgive ourselves.

4.    What are your plans as far as writing in the future?
You can look forward to me constantly working on new books to stimulate people’s minds with. I’m working on my next book “Love and Happiness”, and I plan to have it published by February of 2014

5.    What do you hope to accomplish in your books to your readers?
I put my heart and soul into all of my writings. I constantly try to improve to become a better writer for myself and my fans. The message that I try to instill in my writing is, as people we should always strive to be better. We should always want to become better versions of ourselves. I also want people to see that whether they like it or not, no one is perfect. At some point even the “good guys/girls” aren’t so good. I try to make my books very realistic.






My favorites:

Songs: “Juicy” and “Sky’s the limit” By the Notorious B.I.G. because both songs give me hope that I will succeed and accomplish everything I set out to do.

Singers: John Legend & Beyoncé

Film: My favorite movies are Fight Club, Love and Basketball, He got game, Forrest Gump, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Paid in Full, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Django Unchained, Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill volumes 1 &2.
Books: My favorite books are Richard Wright's Native Son, Eric Jerome Dickey's Cheaters, and Milk in my coffee, and Between Lovers. Sapphire's Push, Zane's Addicted, and Nervous. Carl Weber's Up to no good, and Shannon Holmes's B-More Careful.
Authors: My favorite authors are Eric Jerome Dickey, Zane, and Carl Weber.

Actresses: Sanaa Lathan & Taraji P. Henson

Actors: Samuel L. Jackson & Brad Pitt

Season: Summer

Color: Blue

Holiday: Christmas

Day: April 16th because it’s my daughter’s birthday.

Outfit: Blue Polo jeans with a Blue Polo shirt, and my Nike ACG Boots.

I currently do not have a website, but here are the links to my author page, and my Monster's fan page:
Monster's Fan Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Monster/231214637006067
Author Page:
Where can we purchase your work (provide links)?
These are the links where you can purchase the book:
Smashwords:
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/283252 : Make sure the adult filter is off or you won’t be able to find the book


Ben shared some photos with us of his Author journey. Take a look:



Now that we have gotten to know a bit more about Author Ben Burgess, let's go pick up his book and show him some support. I already purchased Monster and will doing a review on it once I'm done. Don't forget to follow him on social media as well.

I cannot believe that this month is almost over! But, we have some great Authors to keep in mind when we are looking for a great book to read. (I know I do) My kindle has grown this month thanks to these amazing Authors and their craft. My goal is to read a book by each of these spotlighted authors and recommend them to family, friends, and fans for the rest of the year. Thanks in advance for doing to same. 

Until next time, be inspired, be encouraged, and be you! 

Purple Hugs & Kisses,
KEKE CHANEL

No comments:

Post a Comment